Hormonal Acne as the name reflects is powered by fluctuations in your hormones. It appears in adults especially in females between 20-40 years of age. 40 plus women may also fall prey to this as they enter the phase of menopause. Acne is a very common problem may make it difficult to recognize hormonal acne from regular pimples. here we have gathered hints you can rely on to confirm whether you are suffering from hormonal acne. Some natural ingredients that can help to clear the zit and a bit on the diet that makes acne less troublesome.
Hormonal acne has certain characteristic symptoms such as these discussed below:
If you are into your twenties and beyond and still acne takes pleasure in visiting you once a month its hormonal acne. Especially if it appears around your monthly period and appears on your chin and jawline its hormonal acne. One of the identifying features of hormonal acne is deep cysts that do not bump on the surface and stay deep in the skin plus are tender to touch. genetics also tends to play an important role in the likelihood of having hormonal acne.
Causes of Hormonal Acne
Hormonal acne is caused by increased production of hormones like:
These four hormones are intricately linked to women’s health and have a significant effect on acne too. levels of estrogen and progesterone continue to vary throughout the month and also affect the level of testosterone. High levels of these hormones increase the amount of sebum in the skin which leads to entrapment of bacteria and hence inflammation.
Cortisol the stress hormone also has a noticeable effect on these hormones and is associated with hormonal acne due to its influence in other hormones.
What is the Treatment of Hormonal Acne?
There are many treatment options for the resolution of hormonal acne. you can consult with your healthcare provider to know which is the best method for you. log on to marham.pk to find and consult the best skin specialist in Pakistan. Marhma offers online appointment booking, location a doctor near you, plus the service of online audio or video consultation can also be availed using this platform.
Treatment options for hormonal acne include the following:
These are the medicines and chemicals you can get from a pharmacy without a doctor’s prescription. Over-the-counter products that contain chemicals mentioned below are your best options.
- Salicylic Acid
- Glycolic acid
These help to clear up acne by controlling inflammation. Probiotics control the microbial flora on the skin and also enhance penetration of other topical aids used for the treatment of acne. These are available in the form of cleansers, lotions, and creams. You can opt for one that suits you better.
Among the first line of defense against hormonal acne are the topical retinoids. These should best be used only and as prescribed by your dermatologist. These are harsh chemicals that can result in sensitive skin, redness, painful skin and flakiness. Your doctor might suggest drinking more water and a frequency that will suit your specific skin condition. Also, these medicines are not suitable for pregnant women or women who plan to have a child in the upcoming 6-8months.
Birth Control Pills
Birth control pills do a lot in clearing up acne and some of these are FDA approved for use in the treatment of hormonal acne. You may ask your doctor regarding this and he can guide you on what’s suitable for you.
Anti Androgen Drugs
Antiandrogen medicines help to cut the excess amount of androgens that are the male hormones and a cause of acne. these medicines work well by countering acne cysts and also decrease the amount of oil on the skin.
A firm defense against acne is isotretinoin which is a form of vitamin A. It works by helping skin regenerate quickly and reduces the amount of oil on the skin. it is usually used after all other medicines like antibiotics be ineffective.
Natural Ways to Combat Hormonal Acne
Some natural ingredients have great powers to help you in the battle against acne. Here are some:
- Drink a cup or two of green tea daily. It helps t remove toxins from your body and posses mild anti-inflammatory properties as well.
- Eat more plant-based foods and rely less on animal products. eat antioxidant-rich foods these can help to decrease irritation in the skin.
Lifestyle changes to Tame Hormonal Acne
Small tweaks in daily life although they do not work well for controlling hormonal acne completely but watching how you care for your skin and changing it to suit your skin needs may help you deal with hormonal acne in a better way. Here are a few lifestyle changes that can aid you in better management of hormonal acne.
- Don’t scrap and pick on acne. If you find a pimple bleeding or oozing clear it up and use a good astringent afterward. always wash your hands after touching your acne and do not touch with infected hands on other areas.
- It might be tempting to wash your face again and again but limit washing your face to twice daily. also, avoid using harsh chemicals and facewashes with scrubbing action.
- Hold the use of makeup products especially while you have an acne breakout. Ingredients in makeup may irritate already agitated skin and clog pores further aggravating the problem.
- Use a moisturizer although this may be the last thing you would like to apply to oily skin. Your skin still needs moisture. Opt for one composed for acne-prone skin, is water-based, and has a term mentioned that is “non-comedogenic” which means it does not clog pores.
- Always wash your face after your workout or come from a humid environment.
Lastly find and consult the best dermatologist in town to fix hormonal acne. You can use marham.pk to locate the best dermatologist in your city. Authentic patient reviews and ratings on doctors profiles guide you to find the most suitable healthcare professional for your needs.